The terrain looks a tough run for sure, both in terms of distance - the 100 miles challenging the proverbial bits n pieces around the saddle region, and also on the legs - the initial 40 miles of climbing looks a monster and includes:-
- Mow Cop 'Killer Mile', 15.5 miles in - 1.2 miles ascent x 618ft at
- Blacky Bank & Bridestones, 21 miles in - 1.7 miles ascent x 594ft
- Gun Hill, 31 miles in - 1.3 miles ascent x 470ft
- Barlow Hill, 35.5 miles in - 1.3 miles ascent x 506ft
- Barnhill, 71.5 miles in - 1.5 miles ascent x 370ft
|Cheshire Cat terrain - Note the first 40 miles!!|
|The Route - Starts at Crew stadium then reaches out into Peak District toward Buxton|
See the full route at http://www.kilotogo.com/libs/google_map.php?distance_id=76
The recommended plan is to ramp up towards 4 rides per week, 2 of which are at 70% (i.e. 70 miles!) prior to the event in early March which inevitably means some some pretty unpleasant cold and grim outings versus whimping out with a mince pie to watch The Dave channel by the log fire! As a back up an investment in a Turbo Trainer is required when the temperatures starts to hit -0 degrees C.
Anyway. Watch this space for periodic updates on Team Dave's progress towards its first 'major' in March - Bring it on....
Steve 'Peleton' Long